Saturday, April 2, 2011

March 28, 2011 - 10:23 and an EKG!

I wouldn't have guessed as I stood in line at Starbucks today that a couple of hours later I'd be in emergency.  While attempting to pre-teach a lesson on forms of government in Ancient Greece, I found myself having difficulty breathing.  Knowing something was wrong, my eyes filled with tears. I called the school health clerk and before you knew it emt's were checking me, administering oxygen and nitroglycerin, and transporting me to Presbyterian.
Breathe
Blood tests were run and EKG's done. 
Dear husband arrived with both of our sons.
Blood pressure must rise or admit you we will.
Sweet twin mamma you must learn to chill.

 
 
Anthony and Daniel were clearly confused and scared by seeing me hooked up to the heart monitor. Anthony brought tears to my eyes when he said, "Mamma kay?" I had to sign "fine" because the words got stuck in my throat. His curious self climbed up on my bed and said, "Nene scared." He laid his precious head on my chest.  I explained the monitors were just to check mama's heart. Once I let him touch the gadgets attached to me he said, "Nene not scared."  That moment will forever be emblazed in my memory. My sweet Daniel, a little man of few words, but equally scared,  kept a bit of a distance at first. Eventually he was on the bed, too! He entertained himself climbing the guard rails.
The situation begs the question: When exactly is doing too much DOING TOO MUCH? Anxiety attacks are the body's circuit breaker saying you ARE doing too much.  Today's lesson: Stop, decide importance, delete, delegate, and JUST BREATHE!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your post; it's so raw and true and tugs the heartstrings (no pun intended). Good poem, good lesson. ♥ you, woman.

blasfamily@blogspot.com said...

So glad you enjoyed it. The poem just sort of naturally spilled onto the screen. You know I am that tough chick from the block, but my kids are my Achilles Heel. Can you tell I am in my poetry and Ancient Greece units now?
Love you right back, Mamacita!

Unknown said...

Great lesson for all of us as we try to cram "too much" into our days.