Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Dignity Vietnam Memorial Visits Whittier






Yesterday we went to visit the traveling wall that has been in Whittier this week. My dad served in Vietnam. Thankfully his name is not on that long list of over 58,000 Americans who died or are missing in action. He was shot, though, and is considered disabled. Out of respect for his entire platoon who all perished in Nam and for the thousands who have and currently serve, we took our boys. This 3/4 traveling replica is 8 feet high and 240 feet long. When we visited D.C. two years ago, we saw the actual Vietnam Veterans Memorial, but this replica is just as impressive and heartbreaking. If you look closely at the second picture, you can see our family's reflection. It moves me because I think to myself because Daddy's name is not on that wall, we are in it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

{{The second picture really moves me because I see our family's reflection. Because my dad's name is NOT on the wall, we are in it. }}

Lin! I think you changed your wording slightly from when you first posted this (I tried to comment but kept getting kicked out). Still, the idea is so very touching and impressive to consider. How true, and quite sobering.

My dad is a Vet, too - he went to the wall in DC years ago, and said he had to go alone, knowing he would just sit and cry for hours (which he did).