Thursday, May 31, 2012

May 28, 2012 - Memorial Day

Memorial Day is more than BBQ's and the official kick off to summer. It is the day to remember our military personnel who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our country. I took the boys to Rose Hills today to place flowers on various graves waving the flag. I had no particular military grave to visit. However, I saw a man and his wife placing flowers down where a flag stood. He said they were for his father, a veteran named Les. I told him why we were here; he thanked me for being one of the "few who remember the meaning of the day." We shook hands, my boys waved, and we were on our mission. As I walked the grassy field, I couldn't help but wonder about the life story of each of these men. My thoughts were interrupted as Anthony said, "Mama, I see a flag." We made our way across the tiny street and went over to a flag belonging to Glen Cokely.  I laid a flower on his grave, said thank you, and continued walking in the same row.  What a surprise just a few feet ahead. To be continued....




Glen Cokley - Korea
 
Raul Montes - Vietnam


No comments: