Tuesday, July 28, 2009

July 28, 2009 - Bonkers at Borders (68 Weeks)



Well, my summer school coaching assignment is officially over and vacation is now officially here! Yahoo!!!! Daniel agreed to give me a Mommy Needs A Break Day on Friday. After making sure the boys were dressed and packed for their day in Riverside, I put them into their car seats. I kissed them goodbye and said hello to my day.
My agenda was simple: Learn to make homemade salsas compliments of my friend Norma, get a manicure and pedicure, balance my checkbook over a caramel macchiato at Starbucks, sit at the park and soak in the sounds and sun for an hour, and go to happy hour with my friend Martha. This may not seem like much, but these are the simple pleasures I frequently enjoyed B.C. (before children). I got to do almost everything :)
On Sunday I took the boys to Borders. The excursion was not what I envisioned. In my mental scenario, the boys would sit nicely on the couch or floor as I read to them classics and whatever they brought over to me. We’d even play with the sock puppets. As soon as we got in the kids’ section the boys were hollering and running – IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS!!!! I spent my time running after Anthony who was sprinting to the travel section and running after Daniel who was by the LSAT and GRE books. I apologized to those who sheepishly and empathetically smiled and glared back at those glaring with the silent thought, “Oh, and you were all saints as children.” Needless to say, our trip was cut short. This twin mama made a beeline to the register and quickly paid for the book Chicken Soup for the Soul Twins and More.
* Mama's mind-blowing moments: The boys waking up from naps and quietly walking over to wherever I am in the house, getting used to hearing Anthony say “mama” more, Daniel walking with eyes shut deliriously exhausted but fighting bedtime, watching them find feeding Lucky graham crackers amusing, and calling out to them because they are out of sight and hearing each of them giggle or shout back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lin! I love this post. It's so *you* (I can almost hear your voice). :)

Your mommy day sounds like HEAVEN (yes, says she whose youngest is 7... We still need that time to just BE, in the uninterrupted quiet. Oh-so-restorative).

Too funny about you calling out to them, and getting the shout-out right back! What a crack-up!

Enjoy your true summer vacay, at last!

blasfamily@blogspot.com said...

I am so glad my entry amused you, dear friend. I can assure you, I was in distress at Borders. Oh, and that boomerang shout out is more of a high pitched grunt. Thanks for reading and posting. Love ya!

Liz P said...

it's so great you're spending more time with the boys during the day!!!

I love your pics of them being more mobile, what a difference from just a few monthss ago.

Cameron Hernandez said...

I had the same experience at the library, but with one, I could not imagine with two!!